Why do we care about radon? – Denver Radon Mitigation
There are approximately 21,000 radon-related lung cancer deaths per year! Radon is the #1 cause of lung cancer in non-smokers! (Per the EPA). It is a known carcinogen that we breathe into our lungs. It sometimes damages tissue that can reproduce and become cancer.
We want to protect our families, ourselves and any future users such as buyers of the home. Any house can have radon. Colorado has high radon levels! Here is an EPA map showing typical Colorado levels.
Colorado – EPA Map of Radon Zones
Dark Red – Zone 1 (Highest Zone)
Orange – Zone 2 (Middle Zone)
Yellow – Zone 3 (Lower Zone)
Note: Radon is everywhere and the levels may vary within each zone and each county.
Testing is easy and depending on the route you take fairly inexpensive. You have several ways of testing:
- The least inexpensive way is go to a hardware supply store (EX: Home Depot) and pick up a charcoal canister for about $25 and do it yourself. You will have results in about a week. Or you can go on-line to buy one (see website below)
- Another way is to use an electronic radon detection device. Depending on the kind you get it runs for 48 hours and then you get an average.
The EPA says anything 4 pCi/L or above needs to be mitigated. They recommend anything above 2 pCi/L be considered too. Once you know your radon levels (shown as pico curies per liter – pCi/L) then you know what your next action should be.
As the EPA says:
Radon is a health hazard with a simple solution.
Test. Fix. Save a life.
https://radoninatorllc.com/ (There is a 4:40 minute video to see how radon works, a place to check prices, and another way to ask questions.)
Create a custom search of active homes for sale in the real time Denver MLS IDX here: http://denverhomesales.info/propertysearch/
Find public reviews of Denver Realtor and real estate agent Christopher Gibson at the following locations:
See all reviews of Denver Realtor and real estate agent Christopher Gibson at http://denverhomesales.info/testimonials/
- Find information about how buying a home in around Denver Colorado works at http://denverhomesales.info/denver-home-buying-info
- Find information about my risk free premium Denver home seller services at http://denverhomesales.info/denver-realtor-premium-denver-home-seller-services/
- See my list of recommended service professionals at http://denverhomesales.info/denver-service-providers/
- Android & iPhone mobile home search app: http://denvermlsapp.com